Sake Brewing Supplies, Information and Forum

Home Brew Sake

May 29th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Tasting Kip’s black rice sake

A friend, Kip, shared some of his freshly made black rice sake with me. He packaged it nicely in a small green bottle with a cool label. See for yourself:

Black Rice Sake Bottle

Nice huh. The sake in the bottle looks completely clear but when pored into a glass it shows its pinkish purple color.

Black Rice Sake in a Glass

Black Rice Sake in a Glass

Sweet heavy aroma, like fermented black rice maybe a little like a rose, but is light and uncomplicated on the palate. The initial draw of sake into the mouth carries the full force of the aroma with a flavor that matches. Round and full bodied as it enters the mouth but almost completely disappears as you swallow, leaving vary little, if any, after taste. This is a very drinkable sake.

Kip documents is brewing of this sake in two posts, part 1 and part 2, at www.bierkast.com.

• Kip
    1:17 pm on May 30th, 2012 1

Looking good! Thanks for taking the time to review it. I’m looking forward to brewing more sake soon.

Kompai!

• Danny
    2:08 pm on May 30th, 2012 2

Sounds delicious. Kip needs to share it with his fellow Trojan bandsmen!

• Derek
    3:21 pm on May 30th, 2012 3

Very drinkable, you say? Better watch out, it’s 20%+ ABV!

• sean mooney
    10:29 pm on June 2nd, 2012 4

Kip , Sean Mooney in Portland Or. very cool to see someone else making black rice Sake’ I have been making it a lot over the last year and I am in the process of trying to set up a small Micro Sake’ Brew House out here. Been playing around with black rice strains and different yeast strains as well. Also makes a great soup with bbq chicken, yams and vegee’s. I sent e mail address reach out anytime.

• CB
    2:19 pm on January 10th, 2014 5

Wild.
    Been contemplating making Sake with short grain brown rice? Do you have a good source for Aspergillus oryzae?

• Will
    8:03 pm on January 14th, 2014 6

CB, I carry GEM Cultures Koji-kin (Aspergillus oryzae) in the store on this site.

Mostly, brewers do not used brown rice for sake because of the “harshness” and enhanced spoilage factors. However, I have heard there is at least one Japanese brewer that does make a sake with brown rice and that it is a favorite for the person I heard about this from.

Let us know how it works for you!

RSS feed for comments on this post | TrackBack URI